RISD’s Residence Life program offers a sense of shared community with a wide variety of housing options on campus. Whether you live in the Quad, the historic Hill Houses, Charles Landing or 15 West, you’ll discover that the people here—who not only study at RISD but immerse themselves fully in the campus community—share a passion for their work and a curiosity about others.
Shipping to RISD
For those students living on campus, RISD mailbox numbers will be sent to incoming students by email in the second week of July. Please wait until you receive your mailbox to ship your items to RISD. Download the shipping label PDF and follow the instructions below:
- ONE LABEL PER BOX/CARTON
- PLACE LABEL ON TOP OF CARTON TOWARD THE LOWER RIGHT CORNER.
- TAPE OVER LABEL WITH CLEAR PLASTIC TAPE.
- USE NEW BOXES ONLY, BOXES SHOULD NOT BE CRUSHED, TORN, OR OTHERWISE DAMAGED.
- Ship clothes, books, non-breakable items.
- Electronics, computers, stereos be brought with the student to minimize cost and potential damage if not packed properly.
- Boxes be no larger than 24”x24”x24”, the size of a small end table, and weigh no more than 70 lbs.
- TV’s, refrigerators, microwaves can be purchased locally and will be more cost effective than if packaged and shipped from home.
- Ship via UPS to ensure tracking capability and adequate insurance coverage. BRING SHIPPING RECEIPTS WITH YOU. If boxes are lost, we can help you track them down with this information.
- THE UPS STORE can help you package and/or ship your belongings.
To find the nearest THE UPS STORE to you, call 1-800-789-4623 or check the web at www.theupsstore.com.
Moving day tips
Though most incoming students will move in on Sunday, September 2, please refer to the Enrollment and beyond page for move-in dates associated with participation in POSE, International Orientation and Brown|RISD Dual Degree Pre-Orientation.
Here are some tips for making the move-in process as smooth as possible:
- Label everything you have with your name, residence hall name and room number
- Check your RISD email regularly for move-in related updates
- Keep an eye on the weather forecast (any weather-related changes to move-in schedules will be posted on this page)
- Use “2 Waterman Street, Providence, RI 02903” as your GPS destination (you will see color-coded signs as you drive up the hill directing you to your particular residence hall)
- If you experience travel delays due to the weather or other unforeseen circumstances and expect to arrive at RISD later than move-in hours, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- On move-in day, representatives from various departments across campus will be present at a resource fair to share information and answer any questions
- Residence Life staff will be available if you need assistance on move-in day (you can also call us at 401 454-6650)
- If you have any questions before you arrive, please email us at email@example.com